2016.02.29: Dudes. I am very excited for this. I've done a video test of the physics, written lecture notes, and written the script. This one is going to be fun. I apologize right at the beginning for the surfeit of instructions I have for you; I am just trying to mitigate issues long term.
- Here is the script for the entire video, the script for just your portion, and the lecture notes. [note all are drafts]
- Script Legend:
- (voice over) In other words, you can read the script, as long as you don't sound dead pan robotish.
- ... is a pause in the narration. This allows me to increase the time between phrases if necessary.
- FYI: Stage left/right is relative to the person on the stage.
- Script Legend:
- Don’t feel like you have to say exactly what I have written. Say whatever comes naturally, as long as the physics is correct, i’m happy.
- I will need a signed video release form from everybody who appears in the video, please.
- If they are a minor, the parents need to sign instead.
- For our purposes a digital speedometer on the car is better than an analog one.
- I don’t care what the exact numbers are, I think it really depends on the physical geometry of your parking lot, etc. Although,
- Please drive the car at more than 10 km/hr so we can have 2 significant digits and not just one.
- Ditto for the angle, I'd like it to be more than 10 degrees. (Unlike my example)
- I will take as much video of the process you can provide me with. More video is better. 😀
- It just occurred to me that I keep referring to a "roundabout" in my script, etc., however, you probably won't be driving around a roundabout. I'll fix the script, etc. when I go to film.
- I will need at least seven videos (multiple takes of each is better):
- Person introducing the video of the pendulum and car.
- Top view from Drone with car in motion.
- Pendulum with car in motion.
- Pendulum with car still. (Pendulum still and vertical)
- Speedometer with car in motion.
- Everybody dancing and singing at the end to Emre's song!
- Everybody saying their names so I know how to say them. I have messed up the pronunciation of names before; I'd like to avoid that.
For videos #1 & #6:
- Please use a tripod.
- I have Sean in the script, however, it can be whomever you like.
- You can have as many people as you’d like with you while you are saying your lines.
- #6 specifically. Please have Emre's song playing so I can sync the audio/video with the song.
For video #2, the drone:
- Have the car moving in a counterclockwise direction from above (+z direction using the right hand rule).
- Use cones or something to delineate the circle the car is going to drive in. Clearly, it needs to be a constant radius circle.
- I will need markers for video stabilization and tracking.
- At the center of the circle. Some sort of contrasting color object. Perhaps a cone?
- On the car. Perhaps a large, brightly colored piece of duct tape on the roof approximating where the pendulum is?
- Film with whatever the highest resolution you can that has 30 frames per second.
- The circle the car describes should only take up two thirds of the width of the frame. Because the resolution of the film should be much higher than 1920x1080, I will be able to zoom in, center, stabilize and fisheye correct the video.
Below is what I would like the pendulum videos 3 & 4 to look like:
For video #5, the speedometer:
- It may feel like cheating, however, the video doesn't have to be while the car is driving around the circle.
- It will be safer to film the speedometer while you drive in a straight line somewhere. Just make it the same speed as when you were driving in a circle.
- Please have the camera be stationary, otherwise it will move a lot in the video, which would be bad.
- It will end up looking similar to the speedometer 5:04 into the video below.
THANK YOU!!! I know it seems like a lot, however, I think this video will be really great when it is done. Please, read through all of this and contact me with whatever questions you have before you start filming.